MasTec, Inc., is an American leading specialty contractor. The company designs, engineers, and constructs infrastructure…
A digger derrick is a type of truck that allows you to dig holes, lift heavy materials, and hoist long objects like utility poles. Associated Training Services now has a Digger Derrick Training Class where we teach potential operators how to operate the equipment safely, among other things. Here is a short rundown of some of the things you’ll learn in the Digger Derrick Training Class:
- All the different components of a digger derrick truck
- How to perform an inspection on your digger derrick
- Setting up your digger derrick to operate more efficiently
- Tips for stowing and unstowing the auger
- How to set a utility pole using the digger derrick
- Underground hazards and how to identify them
- Power tools to use with a digger derrick
- Overhead hazards and how to work around them
And much more.
The Principle Use of a Digger Derrick
The primary use for a digger derrick is for digging deep post holes, such as utility poles. The digger derrick is a crane-like truck with a huge boom on it, and its primary tool is the auger. The boom and auger are powered by a heavy and powerful hydraulic system.
The reason companies use a digger derrick is because it can dig holes quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively. With the right training, you can be a great digger derrick operator. Due to the specialized nature of this equipment, ATS offers a digger derrick training class where you can learn everything you need to know to operate a digger derrick safely and efficiently.