Take a look at any construction site in the country and chances are that you…
Excavators are used in a wide variety of industries and the job prospects for each industry is varied. Although the majority of operators tend to work in construction, there are other industries that also rely on competent operators. Some of the industries and their prospects include:
- Government – government, particularly local government can be reliable employers. The demand for heavy equipment operators can be in season. Prospects are still strong in this sector.
- Highway and Heavy Construction – prospects remain strong in this area.
- Mining – prospects fluctuate and although mining is a year round activity, vacancies can be seasonal.
- Logging – prospects are fairly weak in this industry. Excavators are not widely used and the competition for the few vacancies can be strong.
- Quarries – this is another industry where vacancies are few and competition strong.
- Water Management – vacancies in water management are moderate, however, employers in this sector tend to target operators with a lot of experience.
When you first look at that sort of scenario, you may feel that working as an excavator operator could be risky. However, it should be remembered that the two biggest users of excavator operators are the construction (including roads, bridges and highways) and government where almost 80% of all operators work. The mining industry uses excavator operators although they are often upskilled to more powerful and larger machinery.
Generally speaking, if you are looking at a career as a heavy equipment operator and the role of an excavator operator appeals, look to the general construction field first. Most other sectors demand operators with two or more years experience across a range of activities. Sectors like the logging industry also want operators that are highly proficient in the use of excavator attachments. It’s an interesting career working as an excavator operator, and one that can be well paid as well. Heavy equipment training is the key to opening the door to this career.