Dump trucks are big machines, they carry heavy loads, and they can be dangerous if operated unsafely. Safe dump truck drivers are a huge asset to any construction site. They increase revenues and decrease accidents, which means they also decrease expenses. That’s why it is important to learn how to operate them safely.
If you want to learn how to be a safe dump truck driver, then we recommend the ATS heavy equipment course.
But let’s do a quick overview of what it means to be a safe dump truck driver.
A safe dump truck driver is one who
- Is aware of the foot traffic in the area of operation and is diligent to avoid it
- Inspects the dump truck before using it
- Inspects the ground where the dump truck will be operated to ensure that it is stable enough to handle the weight of the truck while fully loaded
- Creates a marker for dump truck operations
- While working at night, ensure there is plenty of lighting and enough crew members to help you maneuver around the construction site safely
Dump truck safety – in fact, construction site safety in general – is very important, for drivers and operators as well as employers. So, make sure you understand how to operate a dump truck safely. Your career will reward you.